Site icon Aussie Hoopla

Bryce Cotton aims for 3-Peat and Olympics by re-signing with Perth

Two-time MVP Bryce Cotton re-signed with the Perth Wildcats in a three year deal today.

“I’m back for the next three seasons and I couldn’t be happier sharing this news,” Cotton said.

“There’s no place like home.”

Perth coach Trevor Gleeson got involved with the contract talks once Cotton opted out of his existing contract and he and management made Cotton an offer to good to refuse.

Wildcats coach Trevor Gleeson told media he was thrilled to have the NBL’s best player returning to the club as they begin their mission to three-peat.

“Bryce is the type of guy who makes everyone else on the team a better player, he’s only 27 and to have him for the next three years, it’s going to be a fun ride.” said Gleeson.

The reigning league and Grand Final MVP turned down offers from Europe to be a part of a hungry Wildcats’ team aiming at their first NBL three-peat.

Only the Sydney Kings (2003-05) and arch rivals New Zealand (2011-13) have achieved a three-peat championship run in the NBL and a chance to equal that was a part of Cotton’s decision making.

“We are delighted that Bryce Cotton has signed a new three year agreement with the Perth Wildcats. He is one of the superstars of the NBL, having won two MVPs and two Grand Final MVP awards and played in three Championship winning teams with Perth” NBL Commissioner Jeremy Loeliger said.

Cotton was entering his third year of a previous three-year deal he signed with Perth in 2018. He elected to opt out of that when the coronavirus caused the league to amend it’s salary structure but it’s clear Cotton’s heart has always been to remain in Perth.

He made this abundantly clear in a recent appearance on the NBA Hangtime podcast.

“I had a brief stint in the NBA and after learning about the politics of that I really grew to appreciate somewhere that wanted me and was going to let me play my game full out… I can’t even put it into words, I’ve been here three and a half seasons and won three championships, two finals MVP’s, two league MVP’s… it’s crazy. I’ve even filed for citizenship so I’m hoping to play in the Olympics and to me, just knowing that that is even a possibility for me… it’s crazy” said Cotton

The other part of last seasons one-two punch for the Wildcats Nick Kay is yet to return to the NBL, instead he continues looking for European playing opportunities.

NBL commissioner Jeremy Loeliger said the league was “delighted” by the Cotton’s decision to play in Australia for the long term.

“His decision to make a long term commitment to the Wildcats is a tremendous show of faith in the NBL during a time of uncertainty for basketball around the world. Only five contracted players decided to explore their options under the agreement between the NBL, clubs and Australian Basketball Players’ Association and two of those players, Bryce Cotton and Matt Hodgson, have already opted back into the NBL.” Loeliger said.

The NBL revised it’s player agreement last month so that players earning over $200,000 for the upcoming season would see their salaries cut by 50 percent.

Cotton had renegotiated his contract in order to avoid receiving such a significant pay cut before the Wildcats and Cotton’s management came to the new agreement this week.

Cotton’s announcement comes less than 24 hours after the EuroLeague announced that it’s season, along with the second-tier EuroCup season, would be cancelled.

The league deciding there will be no EuroLeague or EuroCup champions crowned for 2019-20 as they plan to move forward with the 2020-21 EuroLeague and EuroCup seasons starting on Oct. 1 and Sept. 30, respectively.

Dan Boyce (833 Posts)

Dan Boyce is a die-hard Sydney Kings fan who grew up in Melbourne during the roaring 90's of Australian Basketball and spent far too much time collecting Futera NBL Basketball cards.


Exit mobile version