Two-time MVP Bryce Cotton re-signed with the Perth Wildcats in a three year deal today.
“I’m back for the next three seasons and I couldn’t be happier sharing this news,” Cotton said.
“There’s no place like home.”
Perth coach Trevor Gleeson got involved with the contract talks once Cotton opted out of his existing contract and he and management made Cotton an offer to good to refuse.
Wildcats coach Trevor Gleeson told media he was thrilled to have the NBL’s best player returning to the club as they begin their mission to three-peat.
“Bryce is the type of guy who makes everyone else on the team a better player, he’s only 27 and to have him for the next three years, it’s going to be a fun ride.” said Gleeson.
The reigning league and Grand Final MVP turned down offers from Europe to be a part of a hungry Wildcats’ team aiming at their first NBL three-peat.
Only the Sydney Kings (2003-05) and arch rivals New Zealand (2011-13) have achieved a three-peat championship run in the NBL and a chance to equal that was a part of Cotton’s decision making.
“We are delighted that Bryce Cotton has signed a new three year agreement with the Perth Wildcats. He is one of the superstars of the NBL, having won two MVPs and two Grand Final MVP awards and played in three Championship winning teams with Perth” NBL Commissioner Jeremy Loeliger said.
“His decision to make a long term commitment to the Wildcats is a tremendous show of faith in the NBL during a time of uncertainty for basketball around the world. Only five contracted players decided to explore their options under the agreement between the NBL, clubs and Australian Basketball Players’ Association and two of those players, Bryce Cotton and Matt Hodgson, have already opted back into the NBL.” Loeliger said.
The NBL revised it’s player agreement last month so that players earning over $200,000 for the upcoming season would see their salaries cut by 50 percent.
Cotton had renegotiated his contract in order to avoid receiving such a significant pay cut before the Wildcats and Cotton’s management came to the new agreement this week.
Cotton’s announcement comes less than 24 hours after the EuroLeague announced that it’s season, along with the second-tier EuroCup season, would be cancelled.
The league deciding there will be no EuroLeague or EuroCup champions crowned for 2019-20 as they plan to move forward with the 2020-21 EuroLeague and EuroCup seasons starting on Oct. 1 and Sept. 30, respectively.
MVP.
— The NBL (@NBL) May 26, 2020
MOOD.
MVP.
MOOD.
Bryce is back for #NBL21 and beyond, in case you didn’t know.@BCotton_11 x #NBL20 📹⬇️ pic.twitter.com/4sPgGNa5ql